Tuesday, March 31, 2009

DIY Ringflash/light

I've been a little bored lately, so I decided to make a ringlight/flash for my camera. When you use the flash on your camera, it sometimes (most of the time) gives you that harsh flash look to your pictures with a pretty bad shadow. Well a ringflash softens the light a bit and gets rid of the shadow for the most part. You can buy a ringflash that fits over your speedlight for a couple hundred bucks or so, but my version cost less than a couple bucks. I used some cardboard, aluminum foil on the inside to reflect the light around, a piece of white garbage bag to diffuse the light when it comes out, and lots.... LOTS of tape.




Here's a shot with just the flash....



...and here's one with my contraption attached.... gives a little better light on her I think (even though the photo itself is a little blurry, chalk to that up to operator error)



Anyways, nothing really spectacular, just thought it was cool and something to share.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

very cool dude. Can you make me an SLR for a couple of bucks?

Chris Sigmon said...

Thanks Michelle... I can't make you an SLR, but if I sat down and took the time I could make you a 35mm pinhole camera.. hehe

Angie said...

You did make two of those right??? you do recall that your FAVORITE sister has the EXACT same camera as you.....:)