Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Hospital Stay


First I'd like to thank all of you for praying for/over us the past few days. I didn't get to update on here before we left, so let me explain for those who have no idea what I'm talking about.


Let's start with last week, when I did a 5 day regimen of Toradol and Reglan which were supposed to break up my daily headaches..... they didn't. On Tuesday, I called my doctor at Hershey to see what the next plan is. Wednesday, I receive a call back saying that she wants to go ahead and have me admitted to the hospital...... "Ok" I reply "So is that gonna be at Carilion New River?" "What?" she asks. "Ummm... where is this happening?" To which she replies, as if it was a stupid question to begin with "Uh, here." Here meaning Hershey, PA. "Admissions will be calling you."


Well, about 5pm, I get the call from admissions.... "We have a room for you." "Ok, well I can't make it till tomorrow, I live in VA." "Can I put you on hold for just a minute." She comes back, "Ok sir, we'll have to call you back when we get a room available for tomorrow. We can't hold rooms overnight." "Well, I guess I can try to make it tonight...." knowing that we still have to pack stuff, and it takes 4.5-5 hours to get to Steph's hometown and another 45 mins from there to Hershey.... and.... AND... it's pouring rain. "Ok sir, as long as you're here by midnight."


Long story short, mad dash to pack 2 adults, a 1 year old and a dog, fill the van with gas, head out from Radford, VA at 6pm in the pouring rain.... the whole way..... witness tractor trailer wreckage still smoldering in pouring rain... prayers....switch vehicles at Newville, PA.... make it to Hershey Medical Center at..... 11:30pm! I made it... more prayers!


I finally get hooked up to the IV around 3am Thurs. morning..... start on the meds.... still had headaches although not as bad as normal. Saturday, the doc comes in to see if I'm ready to go home.... asks me how my head is.... "Pain is about a 4 out of 10." His reply, "Hmmm... that may be the best we can do for you." Which, for me is not what I want to hear..... but is better than what I've been living with.... which is usually 7 and upwards out of 10, every day.


Woke up this morning.... another 7/8 out of 10 headache.....


So lets recap.... Mad dash to PA in pouring rain, hooked up to IV meds, only helped a little while I was on them..... current medicine doubled, try it for 2-3 weeks, call if not better, we'll try another drug. Is there a point in all of this when I just completely give up on modern medicine? Maybe I have my hopes set to high..... but I'm not asking for no headaches, I can deal with a headache every now and then.... I just want enough relief where I can get back to work and provide for my family again....
to be continued.......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aok little brother.....I of all people completely understand migraines....i've had them before......but I think it's time I let you borrow my book "The Secret". Helped me greatly last summer when Kathie gave it to me....when i was at my lowest with the separation........ One of the quotes in here by Dr. John Hagelin is "Our body is really the product of our thoughts."

* "focusing on perfect health" is something we can all do within ourselves, despite what may be happening on the outside.

* Disease is held in the body by thought, by observation of the illness, and by the attention given to the illness. If you're feeling unwell, don't talk about it-unless you want more of it.

you know i love you.....and i know you're in pain.....but sometimes you just have to suck it

and for the record......when i took what i learned from this book..and applied it to my thoughts...it made a world of difference......and Randy is living proof of that.