Monday, January 5, 2009

The Scare

Maybe most of you have heard about the latest drama in my life, but in case you haven't... here we go....

My doctors at Jefferson Headache Clinic ordered a MRV scan for me... which is basically like an MRI, only the look at the veins/vessels in your head instead of everything else. So I went and had that done Friday afternoon....

Well Friday evening I was down in the bed with a pretty bad headache, and get a phone call from my primary care doctor's office, and they say "Hi Chris, this is Dr. SoandSo, your MRV scan shows and abnormality.... you have a blood clot. You probably should go ahead and go to the ER so we can get you started on some blood thinners."

Wow.... needless to say, after I fully woke up and realized what was going on, we headed to the ER. When we first got there, they couldn't find my scan or the report.... so we waited..... and waited a little more. Then they find the report and tell me "You have about a 2.5cm blood clot in your right jugular." Really??? The jugular? come on!

So as the night goes on a bit, they decide that maybe it's just an artifact on the scan, like maybe I moved somehow during the scan... for the record, I didn't.... maybe I swallowed, but that's about the only movement I made during the scan other than regular breathing. Anyhooo, so they want me to see a vascular surgeon the next morning in Roanoke, and have a venogram done... this will make sure that it's a blood clot or nothing there. Just in case though, they give me a shot of some meds to make sure that the blood clot(if it's there) doesn't get bigger and no others form.... this shot is given to me in the stomach! yeah, not pleasant at all.

The next morning I call the doc in Roanoke to schedule my scan and what not.... he has to make some calls and so he calls me back and says "Well I had a neuro radiologist look at your scan and he and I have come to the conclusion that there's no blood clot there and you should just forget this all ever happened."

And so.... That's my story... I went from a blood clot in the jugular to nothing.... I hope..... Anyways, if I die from a blood clot that's in my jugular, I guess Stephanie and Mia will be set for life.

Seriously though, from the time I found out about the "blood clot", calls went out to my family, my friends, my church family, etc... and the prayers started going up. Obviously God heard the prayers and answered them, and so I thank each of you for taking the time to lift me up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You patients always say you didn't move! LOL :)

Glad it was nothing serious, but I was hoping we had found the answer...so back to square one I guess.

Oh..and I was told by a tech that I work with that Dr. Lewis is the best neuro rad. She said she would trust him over all the others! Hope that makes you feel better.

Have fun playing in the Mouse's house!